Monday 6 October 2008

FORMED A BAND


"Formed a band" was Art Brut's first single released on Rough Trade about four years ago.

This painting was the front cover of Art Brut's first single.

I love demo tapes of bands.I used to find them in charity shops when I was growing up in Poole.I'd always buy them and take them home to listen too.

There is something very exciting about an unknown demo tape especially if your presuming that its a bands first time in the studio as that makes it the sound of high hopes and massive expectations mixed with an intense nervousness,pregnant with possibilty.I always found something to enjoy on the Demo tapes of the long forgotten bands that I'd find in charity shops,even if the music was terrible.

Although I admit I'm probably projecting quite a lot of romantisicism onto the Demo tapes of unsuccessful bands from the Poole area of Dorset.

By the time I had my first band (The Art Goblins) Demo tapes were already non existent with studios putting everything straight on to CD for you.The only tapes I have of any music I've made are songs that were recorded into friends cassette players in our bedrooms from when I was growing up.

I made my formed a band painting before Art Brut went into the studio for the first time.It was definitely before I'd written the words for the song.The painting was supposed to represent the demo tapes I'd listened to growing up not anything we were going to record.

Art Bruts first ever recordings, our demos that were intended to be free on our website, became our first single.

I've always been proud of the fact the front cover was of a fictional demo tape that I had imagined was in a charity shop in Poole waiting to be picked up by somebody like me.

I have made some replica's of the Formed A Band painting they are made of car spray paint and acyrlic paint and are on 24 x 30 cm canvas.

They are £107.50 including postage.

If you are interested I can be contacted at eddie.argos.resource@gmail.com

You can hear the song Formed A Band HERE.

1 comment:

Cate Lawrence said...

Nice one, I like to make wallets out of cassettes,I really associate them with getting into music when I was younger.